Asking the right questions, in a structured way, is the key to hiring the perfect candidate. The following six questions are designed to dig a little deeper and get to know the real person you’re interviewing.
- Tell me about your greatest professional achievement This allows the candidate to share some of their proudest moments with you.
- What hobbies do you have? If they answer with a team-based sport then ask them how they transfer this to their work role…
- What was the biggest obstacle you’ve overcome? Everyone faces challenges in their personal and professional lives – it’s important that your candidate demonstrates how they overcame them.
- What is your biggest strength? This allows the candidate to paint their skills in a positive light, thus offering greater variety to a question that just addresses their weaknesses.
- Where do you see yourself in five years? You want your candidate to show ambition. It also offers insight into how long the candidate may plan on staying with your company.
- Do you have any questions for me? ‘What learning opportunities will be available to me?’, or questions of this ilk, should be regarded as a positive and indicate the candidate is looking to progress with your candidate.